5 Factors to Consider When Choosing a Senior Living Facility
We know that choosing the right senior living community can be a daunting task. Many senior living communities offer several levels of care and an array of different senior care services and living options, which can make it hard to decide what will be a good fit. That’s why we’ve created a list of questions to ask yourself when visiting a community, in-person or virtually. Here are the five main factors to consider when choosing a retirement community:
- Is the community well kept?
- Is the parking lot clean and well lit?
- Is the landscaping kept up?
- When you walk through the door for the first time, is the home odor free?
- Are the hallways, and general community clean, uncluttered, and well-maintained?
- Is the building set up for long term care? Many assisted living communities do not have the required amenities for memory care residents. Will you be looking for another community in the future if your needs change?
- Is the receptionist or greeter pleasant, and community accommodating when you visit for the first time?
- Is the staff friendly with residents? Do they know the residents by name?
- Is there a full-time activities director?
- Is there a licensed nurse on staff?
- Are the staff members and supportive staff members, nurses, and caregivers cheerful and helpful in answering your questions?
- Was the Executive Director available to meet with you?
- Did you feel like the staff cared about your or your loved one’s needs and personal story?
- Are the residents dressed, groomed, and clean looking?
- Are you able to chat to the residents and ask about their experience living at the community?
- Do they seem happy and engaged?
- What kinds of personal care does the community offer? This might include assistance with the activities of daily living, medication management, health care, etc.
- Are there ongoing activities? What are they? Is there a charge for activities?
- How often are there outings? On average, how many residents participate?
- Is there free transportation provided for doctor visits, shopping, and banking?
- Does the community have in-house medical care such as physician visits, pharmacy service, and rehab and laboratory services?
- What dining services are provided? Many communities offer 3 set meals and an “always available” menu.
- Are the meals appetizing, nutritious, and served on time?
- Can dietary requirements, such as low sugar, gluten-free, etc., be accommodated?
- Is the monthly rate within your budget and how are care charges calculated?
- How will care charges be assessed in the future as your needs change?
- What utilities are included in the monthly rent?
- Does the monthly rent include any extra services such as weekly apartment cleaning, weekly laundering of bath and bed linens, or a complimentary personal laundry facility?
- Are there three meals a day and snacks included in the monthly rate?
Is it time to speak to an advisor about your senior living search? Contact us today.