Senior Living During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Why consider Senior Living during a pandemic?
Seniors want to live in an environment where they can engage, have regular meals, and a level of support that allows them to live safely, independently and with purpose. A global pandemic like COVID-19 can severely affect quality of life for seniors who rely on assistance from family members. Social distancing means fewer check-ins or possibly check-ins from people who aren’t being properly monitored or screened. Many seniors have found themselves isolated at home with minimal support.
Prior to this pandemic, family caregivers are proven to be at a higher risk for health concerns. Moving a loved one to senior living may be a necessary step to protect a caregiver and the person they’re caring for. Some other benefits to senior living during the COVID-19 pandemic include:
- Less risk of exposure from daily errands like grocery shopping
- A specialized setting to meet seniors' unique needs
- 24-hour access to a trained care team who are regularly monitored for coronavirus symptoms
- Daily interaction between residents and staff
- Technology to facilitate communication between residents and family
Is Senior Living Safe?
The Healthcare system is under stress as it stretches to meet the demand created by the recent surge in COVID-19 cases. Long term care facilities play a crucial role in alleviating that stress by continuing to welcome new residents. You may, understandably, feel hesitant about moving to senior living amidst a pandemic. Here are some of the safety measures in place at our community:
- Enhanced sanitation and infection control
- All staff wear medically approved PPE
- Access to state and local health and safety resources
- Strict adherence to disease control and prevention measures from the CDC
- Timely COVID-19 testing and contact tracing
- Spot quarantining for new and returning residents
- Access to the COVID-19 vaccine
Guided by the best interest of our current residents, we will postpone new move-ins if we feel it necessary. We will continue assessing our resources and abilities and you’ll receive proactive and transparent communication if our situation changes.
Conducting Community Tours During COVID-19
To keep our residents safe, we are minimizing the number of people at our community by not allowing visitors. Luckily, technology allows us to offer virtual meetings and tours. To be a resource for you, we still want the chance to meet you and learn about what you’re looking for and what kind of support you’re needing. We’re able to set up a group meeting with you and your family to discuss options as a team.
Call us to schedule a virtual meeting where you can ask questions, express concerns, and educate yourself about senior living and whether it’s right for you or your loved one.